Thursday, November 01, 2007

Filet Mignon

I've been plugging away on (yet another) Clapotis. This one is a gift (to be announced after the recipient has received it). Because I don't know how the stole/scarf will be cared for once it leaves my hands, I've opted to use Baby Bee yarn, in a black with flecks of pink and white. If the piece is underappreciated or washed improperly, I'm only out the hours I put into it. I still dig the Clapotis pattern. The knitting is so mindless that you can shorten or lengthen the piece without any math or much brain power.

Although the yarn I'm using is quite soft, I'm having issues with it. Have you ever dated someone who is the nicest person, yet for some reason, you just didn't feel any chemistry? That's how I'm feeling about this yarn. We just aren't clicking. I see it like this: This yarn is the equivilent of having good sandwich meat in the fridge. It's yummy and it will provide nourishment when needed; however, next to it is filet mignon and I have enough time to cook it and savor its flavors. Upstairs, I have all kinds of new sock yarns giving me bedroom eyes. I also have enough Rowan Tapestry to make a sweater. I'm not dissing Baby Bee, but, well, you get what I'm saying.

So why am I working on a Clapotis with sandwich meat instead of a sweater with filet mignon, especially after I swore off gift knitting? Simple. Because I can. If I don't do this particular item for this particular person, who else will? No one. Does she need a Clapotis? No. Will it bring her warmth as well as joy? You bet. Besides, I'm hoping this Clapotis will inspire her to make another one for herself.

Today, I will continue to finish making this sandwich with the tasty meat. I'll mail it tomorrow, then start working on a steak.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Clapotis is a great pattern. The Baby Bee yarn sounds really pretty!

Enid said...

You are my clapotis hero. I have begun one yet. lol.

Amysatx said...

Clapotis is on my "to do" list too!