Sunday, February 11, 2007

Time Flies

During dinner the other day, Mijo initiated a conversation. He got himself so worked up that he started laughing uncontrollably and ended up writing down what he was trying to say to Bachan, Mija, and me. Mijo has this bubbling, contagious laugh that is the most beautiful sound a human can make.





Twelve years ago, he was lying in his crib, upset about something. He became so agitated that he started banging his head into his mattress. Eventually, when he could stand, he would bang his head into the crib railing. Fortunately, this wouldn't happen often, but when it did, it was scary. He didn't like being held for long periods of time by anyone other than my dad. Other milestones crept on us, all around 3-5 months late.





At the age of 4, Mijo was diagnosed with Autism. I won't lie to you; I wasn't sad or angry by his diagnosis. I was relieved that after an extensive battery of tests we finally had a name for what was keeping Mijo from meeting his milestones on time. The next step was to figure out a plan of action.





Autism is a remarkable disease. Once a child is diagnosed, he or she never loses that diagnosis, even if his or her symptoms disappear. Did you know that 1 in 150 kids is diagnosed with an Autism Spectrum Disorder? Cure Autism Now, one of the leading NPOs for Autism advocacy and the search for the cure, says it best: If you don't know someone with Autism, you will. Many kids with an Autism Spectrum Disorder are unable to function in society and home, and their parents are left to care for these kids around the clock. Mijo's main symptom now is his lack of speech. He cannot enunciate words (partly because he doesn't move his lower jaw, partly because he doesn't use his tongue and teeth correctly, if that makes any sense). He also doesn't initiate conversation unless he wants something, and physical contact is out of the question unless it is brief. In fact, I am still waiting to hear "I love you Mom."









Anyway, I have this 12-year old boy sitting across the table from me, laughing up a storm. I sat there watching him, thinking how truly blessed I am. Before I met him, I was clueless about love and all matters pertaining to the subject. He is the coolest big brother a kid can ask for (at least I think he is; Mija might have something else to say). Now that he is out of California, he is in grade-level classes and making friends. He recently stopped biting his nails and made the executive decision to grow his hair long. When I send him to school in button-down shirts, he comes home with the collars flipped up. He is a regular kid.


So here is the master plan. Back in CA, we participated in the annual Cure Autism Now fundraiser entitled Walk Now. This year, we will make the trek to Houston in October for the event. We used to go by Team Mijo, but now that he is coming into his own, I will let him name the team. We will walk to honor him and the millions of others who live with Autism or who will. If I actually know you, you are more than welcome to join our team. We will be fundraising locally and caravaning to Houston (and I'll admit, if the Texans have a home game that Sunday, we're so there; not to mention the yarn shops!). However, if you would rather contribute financially (no amount is too small!), all donations are tax-deductible.

All I really ask of you is that when you have a minute to spare, check out the CAN website, or any website that will give you updated information on Autism. When you see a kid on the streets who clearly seems to be afflicted, keep in mind that he or she has a functioning mind that observes the environment; however, he or she may not be able to process it or communicate interpretations. Thanks.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You KNOW that I'm in, girl. We can't make the trip but I've some bucks for you.

He has the most beautiful smile!

Amysatx said...

What an awesome tribute-of sorts- to your son. My best friend's son is autistic and I had THE BEST time watching him play basketball in his league over the weekend. I will definitely support you on this!!

Kim said...

Michelle, this is so sweet.

Amanda said...

One way or another you've got my support. What a wonderful thing to do!

junior_goddess said...

Michelle, I watched clips from 60 Minutes yesterday on autism, Asberger's, and savant syndrome yesterday; how funny that you should check my Lady E last night. Check out their website, there are a lot of things I learned, and a new book from a guy called "Brain Man" just came out. He is interesting because he is lingual, and can describe how he processes info. Go check out the clips at the CBS website.

I learned that any time I am at the grocery, statistically speaking, I pass by someone with autism.