Friday, February 23, 2007

Welcome to Normalcy


Cute picture, huh? What makes it one of my favorites is that Mija was actually saying, "Say Cheese, Roger!" Poor Rog is just wanting to get away from the crazy grip. I just had to share.
Have you seen Cinderella III yet? I am so not a Disney princess fan, but this movie caught my eye. One of the things that sets it apart from other Disney lil' chick flicks is that Cinderella loves her man, but she accomplishes her goals by sheer will and with help from her friends (and she isn't portrayed in the "oh-woe-is-me" light). Let's face it, we all need our friends. Which brings me to my point...
My legs and abs are a little sore today. Yesterday, Mija and I went jog/walking with one cool cat and her sweet pea. I love exercise because my lungs feel expanded and clear. Since I'm also a perfect example of inertia, movement makes me more active throughout the day. So this was no ordinary soreness. You see, I love that lactic acid build-up, but I appreciate it even more so today. My mom returned home last Wednesday after a 2-month stay. She generally stays for only one month, but she wanted to be here for Christmas, my birthday, and Mijo's birthday.
My mom and I worked hard to have a close relationship. I knew moving out here would be hard on us both and that we'd miss each other, but I honestly didn't know that it would be this hard. We talk on the phone almost every day, usually about nothing. Our chats leave me feeling warmer, more stable. Anyway, when she leaves, I usually fall into a deep sadness. Yeah, it's a depression. For almost a month, I'm pretty useless. I don't want to cook, clean, or talk to humans, including my family. I have to set my mind to return to normalcy. Fortunately, I have a patient and understanding family. Senor picks up my slack, in addition to maintaining his role in the success of this household.
Today, my kitchen is clean (just a few days behind schedule), my floors are looking acceptable, and I'm getting the laundry done. For the last two days, I've managed the family menu, played with my kids, and even knit a few rows (a Clapotis, Christmas sock, and Magic Loop sock update later). All this because I have a friend who was willing to take some time to make me get off my butt and move.

3 comments:

Amysatx said...

I miss seeing your Mom too! I know how it feels. Right now I'm at S.Padre Island for my last visit with my parents(they're "Winter Texans") for a while too before they head back to Minnesota. I'm usually in tears when I leave. It doesn't get any easier when you/they get older.

janna said...

Your mom is so cool! And I think one reason we all like seeing her is that most of us are far from our moms - just being around someone else's is nice.

Anonymous said...

I think your mom is just awesome!

I'm glad you're not in a funk! (I'm the same way when my mom leaves.)

You're the bomb!