Friday, December 05, 2008

Today's Lesson

In my last post, I hinted that I think about people when they are sad and/or lonely. I told you this because it's true. Allow me to explain.

New Year's Eve, 1998, 11:58 p.m. PST. I was in my apartment hostessing a pity party of one. I had made plans to spend the evening with "the love of my life" (we were college sweethearts, and I was a romantic dumbass in college), but he had chosen to spend the night with another woman and lie to me about it (coward). By the time the ball dropped, I was in tears. I didn't want to call my parents because I figured they were asleep and I didn't want to wake them. I sat there and thought that I was the only person who was alone at that time and that no one was thinking about me. A few days later, I told my mom about that evening and she told me that I should have called her because she was up saying a prayer for all of her kids. So, I was wrong--someone really was thinking about me. At that moment, I told myself that I will take time every single day to think of every friend and acquaintance that I know, just so no one can ever feel that kind of loneliness. It's the only thing I've been consistent about.

It's been said that with every person you meet and every book you read, you are never the same person. Since I like who I am today, I would like to thank you with this little nugget.

1 comment:

Enid said...

OMG, that video was so funny.