Tuesday, December 05, 2006

What Hamsters Really Think About When They're Running in Their Wheels

It's finally cold here in the Alamo city. By cold, I mean sweater and scarf weather. Eddie Bauer ski jackets continue to attract dust and moths in the backs of closets. Because of the cold, I stick with indoor workouts, including treadmill running. I know that some people love it and actually prefer it to the great outdoors; however, I feel like a hamster in a wheel. Endless miles on a track, going nowhere...

It leaves my mind free to wander.

Today I chose my favorite treadmill (under the ceiling fan). As I was settling in, I noticed a woman on a stationary bike nearby. I recognized her as a woman I've seen at the 6 AM (yes, that's in the morning, folks) indoor cycling class, sweating her ass off. You can tell that she has the body type that would be skinny and stick-straight if she didn't exercise. Instead, she is strong and rather sexy for a skinny broad.

Let's see, today is Tuesday, so there was a 6 AM class today (I was still in bed). I've seen that woman at every 6 AM class I've gone to, so she may have been to today's class. Hmm... I got in at 9:30. I figure that either she slept in too or she hadn't bothered to leave yet. After the cycling class (Note: an indoor cycling class can burn up to 800 calories an hour!), she gets on the elliptical machine and cranks out some more cardio, so I really wouldn't be surprised if she had spent the better part of the morning at the gym. Anyway, I couldn't help but notice her legs--they are just some hot legs--and how shapely they are. I looked at the other women on the treadmills and noticed that most of them were what "normal" people would consider skinny, and women with bodies like mine consider ideal. Interesting...

My second favorite word in the English language is "luscious." I use that word to describe everything from yarn to decadent desserts to drunk people. After giving it serious thought (I was running on a conveyer belt, so I wasn't going anywhere, hence, I had nothing better to do), I have added my thighs to the list of things I consider "luscious." My legs have been muscular for most of my life. I fought their shape in high school, blaming them for making me look like a football player on Halloween in my cheerleading uniform. While I was pregnant, I continued to walk and do squats and lunges, which added to the size. Years later, I discovered indoor cycling and BodyPump, and as I got older and wiser, I kissed the dream of having skinny legs good-bye.

Why do women beat themselves up to be skinny? Correct me if I'm wrong, but no one wishes to see what resembles a 15-year old boy in a skirt. Muscles, and yes, some fat, make the female body pretty darned interesting! After all, muscles makes some luscious thighs! Fat makes some luscious boobs! A skinny body can't be described as "luscious." Sure, skinny woman can have luscious features, but face it, Angelina Jolie has luscious lips and boobs because they're big, not because they're skinny like the rest of her. But nothing--not lips, legs, boobs, asses, bellies--can be luscious without some substance.

I'm not putting down skinny women. They can be just as neurotic about their bodies as the rest of us. How do you think most of them got that way in the first place? Weight loss is a multi-billion dollar industry, my friend.

Here's a dare for you ladies. Strip down to your "Secret" and face yourself objectively in the mirror. Really look at yourself as others see you (I'm not referring to the shallow population). If you saw a woman on the street with your same body, would you criticize her? I bet you wouldn't. So even if you see cottage cheese in that mirror, embrace your reflection and see the lusciousness. Admire the sweep of your thighs, the strength in your back. Show a little gratitude for the miles your feet have dragged you around and the millions of tasks your hands have been called upon to perform. And if you're still reading this blog and not curled up in the fetal position, then add your brain to the list of sexy traits. Make it a point to show yourself some appreciation every day. The skinny chicks can defend themselves; it's time for you to stand up for your luscious curves and rejoice in the marvel that is your body.

1 comment:

ZaftigWendy said...

Michelle, this is a great post! Just imagine how much happier the world would be if all women accepted their own thighs, their own hair, and their own faces!